My Degree and Me

It seemed like I would never settle on a degree. I started my higher education pursuing a degree and career in journalism, which seemed odd considering my strong math background. It wasn't until a general biology class that I realized I really loved learning about natural sciences. 

Despite that epiphany, it didn't necessarily narrow my interests down to a single major. Many areas of biology, math, and other sciences all were fascinating. Biology and particularly ecology seemed to be what really grasped my attention. Thanks to the guidance of some mentors and to the TRAIN program, I am settled on and nearing the end of a bachelor of science degree in environmental science at ASU. 

I've had the opportunity to conduct research in areas of forestry and ecology. During these experiences, I genuinely felt I was where I belonged. Although I would've never picked it as a career three or more years ago, research is now a passion I wish to pursue. My favorite thing to do is field work. I enjoy the writing and being in the lab, but I am at my greatest moments of joy and serenity in the field. There's something about breaking a sweat and getting your hands dirty while being in nature that really makes me feel fulfilled. 


Private sectors don't particularly appeal to me. We had a Career Day in my environmental science class where ASU environmental science alumni that represented different career fields came and spoke with us and answered questions. The woman who went to work in a federal job for the Bureau of Land Reclamation suggested if I wanted a field intensive career that the Department of Game and Fish or other similar government agencies would be ideal. I've recently assumed that I would progress in my academic career to a PhD, and then I would look for research faculty and lecturing positions at a university.

Thanks to that career day, I am now exploring different employment and internship opportunities within the federal sector. There are many benefits in this career route that may accodomate my life and what I'm seeking in employment. My goal is to try an internship with one of the wildlife/conservation agencies to see if its something I prefer. Fortunately, I've had experience researching for a lab at a university, so I will have something to compare the internship with. 

All in all, I would like to use my degree to research in areas of wildlife and ecosystem conservation. Whether that be at a university or for a government agency, I feel I will enjoy my work as long as I get to be involved in the field work and contribute to the scientific knowledge of the ecological community.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecting with a Mentor + NCUIRE

Trying to Learn Statistics

It's Paper Time