Connecting with a Mentor + NCUIRE

 Networking....is awkward and uncomfortable. 

BUT, like aquiring any skill, it becomes easy and natural with practice. 

I dreaded reaching out to a mentor on LinkedIn. However, my message was really well-received, and I got some extremely helpful insight into a potential career path and research opportunities. 

When I was sending the message, I felt like I was bothering this professional, and she would be annoyed with my questions. I had quite the opposite reaction, and she was ecstatic to tell me all about what she is working on. Now, I've established my name with someone who could help me connect with professors in graduate programs. 

The NCUIRE Symposium was equally awkward. There's a bunch of people standing around staring at you and waiting for you to approach them. However, I wanted to be supportive and network, so I would walk up to someone and ask questions about their poster. I had NO IDEA how many cool research projects were happening at ASU West. Some of the participants were my friends, and I didn't even know until the event what cool things they were working on. I also met people I didn't know. It was a blast talking to peers at my school and comparing/contrasting our research experiences. 

While these two experiences were uncomfortable to approach, it felt great once I threw myself into them. That's a big part of networking. Despite the thought of an action making you cringe, you have to put on a smile and brave face and do it anyway. The only suggestion I can give to help build your confidence to do this, is to do it! The confidence comes after. 

Craft a personalized but professional message and email people in the career fields your interested in. Some may blow you off, but some will reply! Who know what information they have and are willing to offer? They may also send you job postings or give you a direction to look for opportunities. My mentor wasn't able to meet with me, but we still exchanged messages back and forth. Ask your mentor to meet with you, and they will be able to put a face to the name! 

Attend conferences and poster seminars. Create a professional LinkedIn and Handshake profile. Cold email researchers and professors you be interested in working under. There will be peers and mentors galore! This type of networking will help you establish connections and make impressions. The best way to be successful is get experience and get connections. The only way to get either is to network yourself! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Where's and Why's of Disease

It's Paper Time