Current Mindset

 I am excited and annoyed about Fall 2023. 

It will be my final semester before graduation, but I was led to believe Spring 2023 would be my final semester. It turns out a few of the classes I took at community college didn't transfer and give me credit at ASU. So, I have to take an extra semester to take geology, an upper division c/g, and an upper division ethics. 

Although it seemed like a setback initially, I am a little relieved to have one more semester to figure out the post-graduation plan. After much deliberation, I think I've finally decided that I really want a masters degree. However, it is turning into a more complicated process than I originally anticpated. First, I need to figure out where I want to get the degree, what I want to research, and who I want to work under (how the heck do I do that?!). Then, I need to figure out the logistics like finances and if it is even an attainable option. I have a daughter, so I have to be able to not only afford tuition, but be able to support her and I through a graduate program. 

Fortunately, I now have a little buffer time to figure out those details and get prepared. 

This semester I toned it down on the amount of credits I am taking. The classes I am enrolled in are flora and fauna of Arizona, genetics, conservation biology, science public relations, and environmental impact assessment. I am really enjoying them, so far. However, I really miss soil science from last semester. That was my favorite class ever. 

I really am not excited about my c/g  or ethics class next semester. I know those types of classes serve a purpose, but they aren't really interesting to me. 

My goals for this semester are quite the opposite than normal. I always take on a lot and try to be an over-achiever. However, between work and school I have no days off, and I invest a lot of time helping my child in her school. My New Year's resolution and goal for this semester are to not over-do it. I just want to do what I can and not beat myself up if I am not the best or drive myself into the ground trying to be. 

I want to wrap up these classes, get my ducks in a row for graduation, and enjoy the time I have left as an undergraduate. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecting with a Mentor + NCUIRE

Trying to Learn Statistics

The Search for Research: The Top Two