Spring Blog Post 4: Reflecting on the Semester and Moving Forward

This course has enlightened me about the many ways I haven't been taking care of my mental or physical health. I was probably already aware of these deficits, but didn't view them as a pressing issue. School seems like such a temporary effort that matters of sleep, anxiety, and self-care become perceived as "part of the journey." 

Stress, scheduling life, needing more time, and developing a healthy sleep schedule don't resolve when you graduate, although. Thus, I felt that I should endeavor to create positive habitats and thinkng now, that I can carry into my STEM career with the exception of sleep. 

I have decent time management, but I simply don't have enough hours between school, work, and parenting to sleep 8 hours every night. Therefore, sleep in the one thing that maybe when I don't have a job AND school there may be a little more time for. I am aware of the implications it is having on my health, but I just need to tough through a couple more semesters. 

I do plan on being nicer and more understanding to myself. I admire my drive, work ethic, and ability to will myself into pushing past obstacles (including not sleeping). However, I rarely give myself praise or, at the bare minimum, not beat myself up. After reading Daring Grealty, I realize that I can't work forever with that mentality. I have been trying meditation and affirmations to help with this. 

 In general, these reflections haven't impacted my academic or career goal, but they have changed my approach and mind set towards them. My aspirations remain the same at the end of this semester as they were at the beginning (whatever they may be). I have been torn for awhile between going into a government sector or going the academic/research route. This indecision used to cause me tons of stress and anxiety. I felt I had to know exactly what I wanted to do with my future, or my life would fall into disarray.

I enjoy tutoring and feel I would be a great professor one day. My REU and previous research experiences have shown me what it's like in that career field and working in a university lab. However, I like the appeal of working on conservation projects and management with agencies like US Fish and Wildlife or Arizona Game and Fish. 

 May 16th is the start of my internship with AZGFD, so I will have a glimpse into working for a government agency by the end of the summer. I am hoping this and my past experiences will help me decide where I really want to end up. Ultimately, I want to do field work and participate in conservation, ecology, and wildlife biology. The decision may get made for me by whatever jobs I get offered or graduate programs I get accepted into. 

All in all, my changes in mentality have let me relax a little about my career goals. My efforts in school and research have presented me with many opportunities. I think I will be happy with whatever that career route that may come my way long as its in the relative field environmental science. 

This mentality and partial certainty about my career hasn't come easy and has been years in the making. My advice to other STEM students would be to cast a wide net, gain new experiences/connections, and find areas you enjoy working in. This is a more helpful alternative to googling every career and driving yourself insane weighing the pros and cons you think are involved with certain careers. For example, I always thought research work sounded boring or field work sounded too rigorous. Once I actually did those things, I found out I loved them. 

This may be an oversimplification of this semester's LSC 394 course concepts, but I feel the overall theme and advice I would give to other STEM student's is chill out. It is hard to relax and not stress, especially in a competitive field. Also, there are 5 million things to worry about, right? (Finances, scholarships, jobs, classes, exams, etc.) Not everything will go perfectly and that's okay. There will be stressful, busy times and that is also okay. Don't stress about being stressed. Just keep chugging and try to enjoy the limited years you get in college. Also, be nice to yourself! Try to get good grades and be high-achieving, but realize your worth is not dependent on these things. 

I can't believe I am finally entering my senior year! I can't believe I got an internship with AZGFD. All these things will come, so enjoy the ride there, as much as possible. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecting with a Mentor + NCUIRE

Trying to Learn Statistics

It's Paper Time