My Mindset Spring Blog Post 1

My educational journey has taught me as much about myself as the material and knowledge learned in my degree field. Reflecting upon Carol Dweck's presentation on mindset, I believe I have a blend of the growth and fixed. I have always considered intelligence to be a separate trait from apt to learning. Alike to Dweck's comments on growth mindset, I valued the effort put towards academics. 

Despite believing I can improve through perserverance, there have been moments that my fixed mindset wasn't harmful. I agree with Dweck that anyone can learn more efficiently with a growth mindset. However, I believe some people are naturally gifted in different cirriculums. For example, I have never studied for a math test and put little effort towards learning it. Yet, I am always the student with the highest math grade.  I was fortunately not a victim of stereotype threat as found in "Problems in the pipeline: Stereotype threat and women's achievement in high-level math courses" (Good, et. al, 2008). I completed an online university statistics class in a matter of days by skimming the book, doing the homework, and taking the exams. I recieved one of the highest grades of the class.

 My brother, on the otherhand, was raised in the same environment with the same grade school teachers, and despite his efforts he extremely struggled with math. On the contrary, he can read a book and retain all its information in the blink of an eye. Whereas, it takes me months to finish a book and if I rush it in the slighest I will lose all understanding of what I read. This has made very verbous subjects like history and philosophy more challenging for me. 

This experience led me to believe some things you are either gonna be great at or not. I know I am great at math. I know I struggle with reading. I have practiced and practiced the "not yet" with reading, and I still read at turtle speed. I approach reading books and articles with a fixed mindset that it will just take me longer than the average person to intake the same written information and there is no point in trying to improve my reading speed anymore. Suffice it to say, my partial fixed mindset has given up on trying to be a good reader. It has deterred me from pursuing many areas of liberal arts. 

I agree anyone can learn if they chose to and have the right mindset, but I think it is silly to deny that with all efforts and a growth mindset that all humans can be equally achieving in all subjects. Regardless of that notion, I am a firm supporter that growth mindsets should be encrouaged. I praise my daughter for her effort often to instill this mindset in her. Strengths and weaknesses are natural, and I believe if you recognize and approach the weaknesses with a growth mindset the outcome will be better than with a fixed.  

My fixed mindset attitude is accompanied (blended) with the work ethic a growth mindset entails. Organic chemistry taught me that I can NOT naturally get an A in every class. It took tears, countless hours of studying, tutoring, and determination to even pass the class. I ended up with a B+, which is the lowest grade I have ever recieved and the one that makes me the proudest. Although I sometimes display a fixed mindset, I believe I've approached many challenges like organic chemistry with a growth mindset (except with reading!) that has ultimately lead to much success. If I had to answer the question with numbers I would estimate I have 75% growth mindset and 25% fixed. 

I think this blend with more growth than fixed has only been beneficial to my educational journey. The fixed has made me realize I do have talents and competencies in certain areas of learning than others that I struggle with. This has guided me to areas that I am high achieving in and thus feel more comfortable and satisfied with like biology and math. This is not to say that I've ran from challenges or taken an easy route, however. 

My majorative growth mindset has been equally necessary to this success. Even in subject areas I feel confident in, there have been concepts, courses, exams, and obstacles that took grit and patience. My growth mindset allowed me to continue working and trying new ways of learning to turn the, "not yet" into. "I got it!" I've done well in difficult classes and feel that I am in the right field for what I am inclined to and enjoy the most. 

Thanks for reading! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecting with a Mentor + NCUIRE

Trying to Learn Statistics

It's Paper Time