Reflecting on my Online Presence

     In my last blog post, I touched on the presence I have online. Personal social media pages and this blog comprised my main presence. I don't always enjoy having social media. It primarily serves as a way to connect with my family and long distance friends. There is a lot of unnecessary "drama" or sharing of strong opions on social media that can sometimes feel more stressful than useful. I set my Instagram and Facebook to "private" and adjusted my settings to deter some of the content and people I prefer not to see. 

    I kept my Twitter on a public setting for professional reasons. I figured one day it may come in useful in connecting with others in the scientific/educational community. I've also been told that many employers are using Twitter to advertise job openings. My only 'desire' in terms of social media presence is to have less, at least on my personal pages. When I have time, I will likely reduce my friends list to only those I really want to connect with and share updates and pictures. Also, I should present myself and past/current research on Twitter. I am reluctant, but know it will be helpful. 

    My online presence increased after creating a personal website. I feel it helped me step out of my comfort zone and made myself more marketable as I pursue my academic endeavors and enter a career. The link to this website is Kimberly Merrill's Webpage. The website includes my past research experience, interests, and ways to connect with me. Creating the website was not as intimidating as I anticpated. I used Wix.com which provides templates for design and easy steps for set-up. The largest challenge now is keeping it maintained and updated. 


Picture of the home page of my website 


    As I earn more degrees and conduct more research, I'll add to the website. There are still some revisions I could make. For example, I want to create a LinkedIn or Indeed account to connect with employers and find internships in the future. 

    Ultimately, as cringey, uncomfortable, and foreign it is for me to have a greater online presence, I do strongly believe it will help me connect to others in my fields of interest, market myself, and increase my success in environmental science. As I venture out into the web, I am finding myself more at ease with the technology. I feel that more practice is key in becomming more comfortable marketing myself. Also, there is a lot of confidence necessary and insecurities to overcome to present oneself and gracefully display your achievements. 

    A very accomplished professor and mentor once told me:

"I still have imposter syndrome. It doesn't go away. 
Sometimes, you have to realize that you know 
some things and should brag about yourself." 

    His advice really surprised me because he is very successful and knowledgable, and yet, he still feels like a phony. I believe this imposter syndrome has a lot to do with my shyness online. I don't feel that I have really accomplished enough to even try to put myself on display. However, I am coming to terms with the fact that it will be a little uncomfortable at first and that even small accomplishments are worthy of marketing. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecting with a Mentor + NCUIRE

Trying to Learn Statistics

It's Paper Time