Week 4: Research Proposal

 Hello Again!

Last week, I picked up my echolocator and have been anxious to go out and see it in action. However, I'm staying in southern Arizona at my parent's farm and it has been WINDY! A lot of the tiles have come off the roof and even a tree blew over. Least to say, I haven't been game to take it outside with the wind and dirt. Today, it has been very still and I even saw a bat out when I was feeding the chickens so after this post, I'm heading out!

As for my research proposal, I am only submitting one for the new project about bats and zoonotic diseases. However, since I am continuing the Plague project, I assumed I don't need to submit another one this semester. Does anyone have experience or knowledge on this? I felt it would be unnecessary to propose the same research twice. 

This week I also learned bats are the primary reservoirs and causes of:

  1. Henipaviruses
  2. Coronaviruses
  3. Filoviruses
  4. Lyssaviruses (rabies)   
Below is a picture derived from:

Wynne, J. W., & Wang, L.-F. (2013). Bats and viruses: friend or foe? PLoS                                                     Pathogens9(10). https://link.gale.com/apps/doc/A351945484/SCIC?                      u=mcc_phoe&sid=SCIC&xid=85ed4899

It illustrates the aforementioned viruses and the primary species of bat as the host. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecting with a Mentor + NCUIRE

Trying to Learn Statistics

It's Paper Time