Week Two: Research Question

 Hello!

This week I decided to look into bats. Matt has been really helpful and extended the opportunity to use one of the data collectors for the bat project. To get a good idea of a new research topic, I focused on reading about bats and their importance in varying ecosystems. I learned a lot about how they attain huge importance in moderating pest populations and increase soil enrichment. 

It was suggested since my last project was on a zoonotic disease, that I carry that knowledge of the research process into diseases that bats carry. There are likely many factors involved in their involvement as hosts and vectors. This coming week, I plan to look into those factors and hopefully develop a question around that. First, I want to get an understanding of bats in general, including their diet, migrations, and physical make-up. Then, I want to learn what diseases they carry besides the obvious. Lastly, I want to look at the disease cycles and see what's happening there. 

As for my Plague project, I am using a loaned device so after winter break I thought I would have to return it. In anticipation, I downloaded everything on to a USB and wiped everything off of the computer. I left the USB in Phoenix and am staying out of town at the moment. Next week, I will pick it up so I can continue looking at the data I have and seeing if I can add to it or organize it in a more logical way.

I hope everyone had a good Valentine's Day and three day weekend. I used the opportunity to get caught up on an already busy semester. 

Speaking of bats, this little guy is at my mum's farm in Southern Arizona. I believe he is a Yuma myotis but you bat people may know better than I. He was cute and fluffy. Don't mind the yellow stuff. She had a bee hive get into the attic! 






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecting with a Mentor + NCUIRE

Trying to Learn Statistics

It's Paper Time