Week Three: Research Question and Even More Data Finding

 I feel now that I am working on two research questions, I should have two parts to my blog.

Part One: For the bat project, I picked up the echolocator this week. I haven't used it quite yet mainly because I got the COVID-19 vaccine on Tuesday evening and have been dealing with some of the side effects. Also, last evening it was extremely windy and cold in my area and I'm not sure it's a great idea to take the device out in those weather conditions, nor would it probably be a successful time to find bats.

I believe my research question for the bats will be something along the lines of: Why do bats harbor so many diseases? To understand the cycles and transmissions, I started at looking at some of the main zoonotic diseases that bats carry. The image below is from the article, "Why bats are the source of so many disease outbreaks,by Anjishnu Das. The artilce was published in Februrary of 2020 on Times of India via  http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/74062152.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst_prime



Part Two: For my Plague project I have compiled all of last semester's data but, I received the suggestion to find even more. I have came across more data from Eastern countries and other countries in Africa, apart from the already included Madagascar and Democratic Republic of Congo. Originally, I scratched out the United States' data because it didn't fall within the parameters of what I was I measuring. However, after some discussion, it was decided to include the US and scratch the Peru data. Peru is too diverse in climate and latitude to represent it sufficiently in the results. Including Peru, would give the results a possible false conclusion. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecting with a Mentor + NCUIRE

Trying to Learn Statistics

It's Paper Time