Week One: Winter Break

 Welcome/welcome back everyone! I hope everyone had a safe, wonderful winter break. 

Last semester, I left off with an open ended research project. The Plague vs Temperature analysis was causing many difficulties. Fortunately, I am getting some help on what to do with messy, inconsistent data. I still won't give up on the project and plan to continue on with it this semester. Seeing it through and finding substantial or insignificant results is still the goal. I think I pretty much know the conclusion before the data is even put together. I just need a little help putting it together.

Also, I'm in the process of developing a simultaneous research question to involve bats of sometime, while I help collect bat data for Matt and peer STEM/TRAIN students. I am really excited about that. 

During winter break, I did a lot. My mum is selling my childhood home/farm so I've been going through all my old stuff that one often leaves at their parents house, such as year books, sports trophies, etc. I also have been helping pack up the house and take care of the property that lies on two acres. I did a lot of hiking and playing with my daughter. She turned six during break! Also, I applied to ASU and got all the admittance stuff and FASFA taken care of. 

Most relevantly, I tried to get in contact with the Arizona representative of BLM to try to see if there were any intern opportunities available. I still haven't gotten any callbacks or responses. I also have been looking at the summer internship offered by AZGF but their website still says accepting "2020 applications" so I don't know if that means they cancelled the program because of COVID or just haven't updated their website. I'm finding it really hard to get ahold of anyone in a pandemic, especially when you can't walk in somewhere and introduce yourself. Someone recently recommended looking into forestry service or US fish and wildlife. Many of them require you to just upload a resume to USA Jobs and wait for an internship spot to open to apply for. If anyone knows of any opportunities in conservation, wildlife, or ecology please let me know!

I can't wait to hear what everyone else did with their break time. It went by so fast! I am happy to be back though and am really loving my classes this semester; especially my physical geography class. 

Lastly, my dog found a skull when we were hiking out in the desert and I can't figure out what it is. The nose is broken so it's hard to tell. My amateur paleontology tells me it is an herbivore but I'm not entirely sure. Normally, I can identify the animal but this one is hard. What do you guys think? Southern, AZ border of California in the desert far away from mountains but in the bush on a me

  












Comments

  1. Hi Kimberley! I think it is wonderful that you are continuing with your project, research takes time, especially when you don't have a large team.
    https://www.nsf.gov/crssprgm/reu/list_result.jsp?unitid=5047
    use this link, it may help you find an REU. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Connecting with a Mentor + NCUIRE

Trying to Learn Statistics

It's Paper Time