Transferring and Calculating

I have a lot going on this week, as I'm sure many do approaching the end of the semester. 

First, I found out some information that put me in a bind. Due to switching majors and some ill-advise from an advisor, I thought I wasn't supposed to graduate and transfer until Fall of 2022. However, it came to my attention that I am finished with my Associates of Arts and can technically graduate now. I don't have all the courses done on my MAPP but, I have enough done that it will waste my financial aid to stay at PC just for the 2 chemistry courses I need. Graduating now doesn't give me enough time to get my things in order. Therefore, this week has primarily consisted of talking to advisors to try to figure out what to do. I am not prepared to transfer, so I will most likely graduate this spring from PC and transfer to ASU in the fall. I'm still talking to advisors and transfer reps. Unfortunately, because it was unexpected and I thought I would have time, I will be one honors class shy of graduating with honors, which is disappointing because I put a lot of time and work into the program. 

Anyways, does anyone have any advice? Is it normal to be nervous to leave PC? 

Second, this week my chemistry professor also gave us a 2nd midterm, which I think I did well on. It's been a busy week.

On to my research project: 

I've been trying to put what I have into a final paper. I don't think it will be complete this semester. The fact that it isn't done bothers me but I've been told it's normal with an extensive project. The easiest part has been gathering temperature data. I got a little too loose in my writing and was using the word "climate" not realizing that entailed temperature, wind, precipitation, humidity, pressure, geography, freezes, etc. Condensing all of the data and comparing it would be really impractical. Besides that, my research question is focused on temperature. I'm glad I made that note when reviewing my writing. I took out the word, "climate" many times. To double-check myself, I did a little reading to make sure I was using the appropriate terms and the chart below was a simplified explanation. 


Chart derived from http://www.differencebetween.net/science/difference-between-climate-and-temperature/


The data of reported cases initially was intimidating to handle. However, once you start to clean the data up, the temperatures are the most time consuming numbers. Why? Well, I can't put the temperature for every single day of the year on a graph. So, I whipped out the TI-84 and started to do averages per month. Then, I tried to decide if I should keep the years separate or average the months together. 

Thanks to climate change, it wouldn't be a great representation to group all months of each year together, average or not. 

It is coming together, which feels great. I'm not sure how to do a final paper without being finished. 

Separate note: does anyone know anything about the accelerated degree programs at ASU? I'm doing environmental science and noticed they offer and accelerated program for bachelors and masters degree in three years. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecting with a Mentor + NCUIRE

Trying to Learn Statistics

It's Paper Time