Plague Project Update

There isn't as much to report this week considering the rough draft of the papers are due. I read within the assignment details that it mentioned to submit it whether it is complete or not. I've constructed the outline and have it mostly filled, but there is a lot of information and citations that I want/need to add to my results. In fact, I think my results will be many pages once completed. I have all the articles annotated and data organized finally. It's just incorporating them into the results section that is gonna take awhile. There is so much data out there that it is taking a long to comprise a paper that represents all of it. All of the background, abstract is done, just results and conclusion need many, many more pages. 

Here's a sneak peek into my results, though. Temperature does have a part to play in transmission, but not as many would think. People often associate getting sick with winter and cold temperatures. However, it really depends on a multitude of factors that vary from how transmission occurs to the actual pathogen itself.

In the case of Bubonic Plague, human and animal transmission occurs through bites from infected fleas. This leads you to consider what is the ideal temperature for flea reproduction, when/where do humans come in contact with infected fleas, and what temperature does the pathogen (Yersinia pestis) best survive at. 

Some bacteria are more sensitive than others. Yersinia pestis survives at moderate temperatures. Either extreme in climate can easily kill it. However, fleas have an internal temperature that can harbor and protect the bacteria. Then, the infected fleas typically are carried by rodents or burrow inhabiting mammals that also avoid harsh temperatures, thus, protecting the bacteria. 

I'll save the rest of the explanation for next week so that I don't dump my whole project into one post. It will be my cliffhanger for you all. 

The two pictures I will share will you are from the CDC and derived from https://www.cdc.gov/plague/index.html

Bear in mind, a simple hike or nature exploration can be loads of fun, but holds some risk. Routinely, keep pets treated for flea and ticks and if you take them outdoors, try to keep them away from burrows and wildlife. 

The bottom picture display symptoms of humans with 1. Bubonic Plague 2. Septicemic Plague 3. Pneumonic Plague. If anyone is interested in hearing more about symptoms, I would be glad to share what I know in next week's post. 

Take note particularly in the bottom left picture of the swollen lymph node. 

Stay safe everyone!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecting with a Mentor + NCUIRE

Trying to Learn Statistics

It's Paper Time