Narrowing the scope

 Belated Happy Veteran's Day to everyone and thank you for your service to any vets in the program.

My paper didn't turn out as plan. The more research I've done, the farther down the rabbit hole I've gone. As I've mentioned before, my research question involves two variables, which are temperature and Plague cases. 

However, in the grand scheme of things, which I touched on in my last post, temperature does affect incidence of Plague and in many ways. It was very easy to go down many paths of the how's, but it made it extremely hard to express any results and specifically answer the question. For example, host activity and breeding differs in different climate. Flea reproduction varies at changing temperatures and increased rainfall. I could go on, but it is really not necessary because although it contributes to my topic it does not pertain directly to my research question. 

As I was writing my paper, I was racking my brain and thinking, "how the heck do I include all of these things into one paper?" I was essentially writing a Plague book. So, I reached out for some help and got some amazing advice, which simply put is, "stay specific and focus on my variables at hand."

I was doing too much. Although those other factors vary at different temperatures, they are not the variables I am analyzing. I need to look at strictly temperature and strictly plague cases. Then, organize and compare the data. I need to have another meeting on which statistical analysis to use. 

It almost feels like I'm starting over. I'm not, but it feels that way. I actually have less work to do now that I eliminated all the other variables I was considering. I need a little help in the data analysis department, but I know who to go to, now. 

Also, I super misinterpreted what to do for the literature reviews. I thought I had to write a review for each source. I actually wrote little annotations and paragraphs for EVERY single source I have. Yeah, that's not necessary. It was helpful, however. If you have the time to take notes or write a little summary for your sources, it helps when having to refer back to them. It also helps build a little concept map in your brain (in my case it went all over the place)! 

Anyways, I feel better about this project after my meeting. I am not as overwhelmed with information and feel like I concretely know what exactly to do next and how to compile the information I have. 

I almost forgot.... I also was struggling to compare data for the whole world or even the United States. As you know, temperature varies greatly from state to state and country to country. Also, many countries don't have sufficient data that would fit in my parameters. Thus, I asked and it was recommended that I use a few specific locations. I have picked three based on high numbers of cases and availability of consistent climate reports. I will reveal the locations when I am certain about the third location. I'm having difficulties with the map.

I will tell you one region and it should be really obvious from previous posts. Presenting the Plague hotspot of the world: Madagascar.








Photo derived from EasyVoyage.com

Stay safe, friends. 

Comments

  1. All that work is still valuable even if it does not make it in the paper. Those aspects you did not include are great for the discussion/conclusion where you can layout the questions that are still unanswered and the possible future research opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree with Richard. When presenting your research at conferences it will be helpful. People will ask you questions that are not particularly specific to your project but it sounds like you will most likely be prepared for that. I am glad you were able to get past the info overload and focus, it can be so tough. I love going down the rabbit hole :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Connecting with a Mentor + NCUIRE

Trying to Learn Statistics

It's Paper Time