Touching up the Background

 Hello Everyone!

Midterms are here and I have heard a lot of concern about workload. I can 100% sympathize with all of you. My chemistry lab kit just showed up last week (due to delayed processing) but we are six labs in. I have been experimenting my days away to catch up. 

Hence, I haven't put as much evaluation into my project background as I like. Currently, I am putting my final touches on it before submission. I find myself struggling to organize the mass amounts of information there are into the background. My first step, after finishing reading and annotating the scholarly journals, was deciding what was relevant and should be mentioned and what was seemingly insignificant and could be omitted. 

When it comes to an infectious disease, is any information about it invaluable, though?

Aside from the project background, my main focus of research has been population densities of rodents in areas where the highest amount of cases occur. So far, it seems that deer mice are the main infected rodents followed by prairie dogs. 

As I have mentioned in previous posts, I am interested in the correlation of climate, population density, and infection. Below, is a wonderful comparison of various features such as average temperature and proximity to grasslands with red dots to represent the locations of 66 infected, captured deer mice. 


This image is derived from https://peerj.com/articles/1493/#fig-2

Great luck with midterms to you all!

Haseeb, M., Walsh, M. (2015). Modeling the ecologic niche of plague in sylvan and domestic animal hosts to delineate sources of human exposure in the western United States. PeerJ-Life and Environment. https://peerj.com/articles/1493/#fig-2

Comments

  1. Wow Kimberly, sorry about your chemistry kit, that sounds like a lot. I understand how you feel there is sometimes so much information available that you don't know what to do with it. My best advice is to use only the most relevant information. You don't want to scare or overwhelm the reader with too much information that isn't necessarily critical to your point.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Connecting with a Mentor + NCUIRE

Trying to Learn Statistics

It's Paper Time