Madagascar

Hello again to all!  

One significant point of focus in my research is Madagascar. I know I have mentioned this country in previous blog posts. However, the more I learn about incidence of Plague, the more Madagascar dominates the average rates of infection. 

Also, this week I found some interesting information provided by the Republic of South Africa's Health Department in their publication of National Plague Control Guidelines. For example, more than 80% of worldwide Plague cases occur in South African countries, most notably Madagascar. This remains true and representative of the last three decades. Hence, I think we can agree we need to look really closely about what's going on with this island. 

Here is a simple statement from Dr. M. E. Tshabalala-Msimang in the manual that made me ecstatic:

 "The ecology of plague is highly variable as there is a complex interaction between the hosts, vectors and the plague bacilli that is influenced by factors such as host susceptibility, season, temperature, humidity, and availability of food and the transmission efficiency of fleas." (n.d.) 

This, although a simple and broad statement, was like a wonderful confirmation for me that I am on the right track. I am specifying temperature in my research question, but I had also suspected humidity. However, I do believe it depends on ideal environments for hosts and vectors. Regardless, it affirmed my efforts are not fruitless. 

I cannot express enough how much love I have for the before mentioned source.  


Here is a beautiful temperature map of Madagascar and I actually found it in a journal about climate change by Modeste Kameni Nematchoua in 2017. If you're able to zoom in on the legend, it describes average temperature and precipitation. The map represents averages from 1970- 1995. The journal has map for more recent years, which looks very similar. However, they altered it to reflect the predicted changes in climate over the next 15 years, which if my hypothesis is supported, could be a helpful source to predict future Plague incidence. For the sake of accuracy and concrete date, I'll use this older map to show you the temperature regions of Madagascar. 

Picture derived from: http://www.insightcore.com/journal/study-outdoor-environment-climate-change-effects-madagascar-modeste-kameni-nematchoua-2017.html

Now, let's take a look at two Plague maps for 2017 from the World Health Organization. The bottom represents Bubonic Plague and the top represents Pneumonic Plague. 



Do you see it? I'm not going to comment more about them because I want to leave a little of the puzzle pieces for you to put together. (I know it's simple but exciting nonetheless!) 

Okay, lastly and most irrelevantly, there was another interesting diagram shared in Plague control paper I shared earlier. It doesn't help my research question that directly, but it is a great visual aid for those confused about transmission and the various types. It uses animals from Madagascar, but the transmission follows suit for different areas of the world with other rodent and mammal hosts. 



Photo derived from National Plague Control Guidelines at https://www.medbox.org/preview/59e73b9f-32a8-4014-8677-36d31fcc7b87/doc.pdf



Thanks for reading! Keep washing those hands and have a wonderful week! 


References 

Republic of South Africa Health Department. (n.d.) National Plague Control Guidlines.                                     https://www.medbox.org/preview/59e73b9f-32a8-4014-8677-36d31fcc7b87/doc.pdf

Nematchoua, M.K. (2017). A study on outdoor environment and climate change effects in                             Madagascar. Journal of Buildings and Sustainability, 1(1).  

        http://www.insightcore.com/journal/study-outdoor-environment-climate-change-effects-                        madagascar-modeste-kameni-nematchoua-2017.html

World Health Organization. (2017, November 27). Plague – Madagascar.
         https://www.who.int/csr/don/27-november-2017-plague-madagascar/en/



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Connecting with a Mentor + NCUIRE

Trying to Learn Statistics

It's Paper Time